6/25/2006

Not guilty

I certainly no longer have the sense of guilt I used to have when I neglected my posting. I simply don't have the time I used to. I worked out the other day I am lucky to work below 50 hours a week these days. So coming home and getting ready for the next day or staying up to midnight to do some work, means I just don't fit in anything from my former life.

I don't get to lunch with any of my former colleagues or leave the office very often during the day. The 10 hours in one office can fly. I have an expansive view yet I am surprised the other night when I leave that it is raining.

I have been getting a few questions about my lifestyle choices at the moment or maybe my lack of work-life balance. Alot of women, mothers, who don't work or work two days a week simply can't comprehend what I am doing.

I usually reply - I have to work full-time I get asked to do jobs more senior with more responsibility. I can't and don't say no, its not like I am giving up work anytime soon or even going part-time. It comes with the territory.

I have gotten to an age when I have to think will it be me who is the boss or will I report to someone else for the rest of my life. I find it very difficult I have never managed people as such and now I manage about 10 people. I don't think I am even terribly good at it, sometimes I get told No I am leaving I don't have time for the work you want to give me, so I take it back to my office and I do it! I have always promised myself not to talk about work, this is coming dangerously close.

School holidays started so I dropped El and Gabriella up at my mother's for the week. It is always a rest for P and me to only have to deal with ourselves and work. Miss them madly already though. Especially imploring Gabi to please, please keep some clothing on - it is winter after all! P will miss waking up El to watch the soccer tomorrow night too.

Maybe I will get a chance to catch up on posting this week, especially cooking I cooked a classic dinner for some good friends leaving to reside in Tasmania this week. I was encouraged to try my hand at an English roast - rib on the bone, yorkshire pudding and potatoes in goose fat, beans in lemon butter. And a steamed golden syrup pudding.

We have been quite madly entertaining lately. I say madly because nearly every weekend I bring home work so on Saturdays it is full steam ahead, washing, vacuuming, washing the floors, dusting, tidying, shopping, cooking and then more cleaning. They are the dinners we must have rather than the dinner parties we want to. Sundays we are shattered. There is just no time to smell the roses!

4 Comments:

At 8:34 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice to see you back and feeling guilt-free. It's not easy, I'm sure. Hopefully you will have a snippet of time to yourself this week with the children away.

 
At 7:30 pm, Blogger Amanda said...

Hi K

I do feel a little guilty when you leave me nice comment! P and I are really enjoying this week without the kiddies. We felt like not going to work on Monday morning staying at home sleeping all day and generally just being AWOL.

 
At 12:10 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do it on Thursday or Friday, go on - do it..do it!!!

 
At 6:06 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about always taking orders from someone else or deciding to be the boss. It's hard and I am facing some of the same challenges as you in my work.

But something I am much more interested in - I don't know how you entertain with kids. Do you only invite people without kids or do you have their kids over as well? We used to entertain a lot and I miss not having people over anymore. Let me know how you cope!

Elissa

 

Post a Comment

<< Home