12/13/2004

Hairy or not.

Over the past 6 years my husband has always kept his hair short, and especially short once it became more noticeable that he would experience the same pattern of baldness as his maternal grandfather.

His losing hair has never worried me in the least and on many occasions, (because P losing hair seems to be quite common topic at family gatherings) I have assured him that I did not choose him nor marry him on the basis of his locks alone (or looks alone for that matter).

Unfortunately I noticed that he had quite a good head full of hair just prior to our having Elliot. When Gabriella was born last year I noted that his hairline appeared to have suffered in the preceding five years. I suggested that it is very likely that Gabriella should finish off this pattern of hair loss entirely within the next five years.

This year P has taken to shaving his hair with clippers and not using a blade, so no number one or two, it's a nothing. Nothing blade leaves a stubble of sorts on his head. When P mentioned to me on Saturday that he would like to shave it completely - I jumped at the chance to be one to remove the remainder of his hair. There is actually also a good medical reason for P to shave his remaining hair as well because he appears to have developed some sort of scalp condition that should be treated with a topical lotion (with some cortisone in it probably) and keeping it very short i.e. none, will mean that no moisture from sweating under a hat will be trapped against his scalp.

So yesterday afternoon, I got out 2 new disposable razors and lots of warm water, a towel and lots of sorbelene cream and had a go myself at making him completely bald. It was fun, I love his freshly shaven face so a freshly shaven head well .......it's a beautiful thing ..to me. We really needed a much better razor blade and if he keeps it up, we may as well invest in a new electric shaver to make it a quick job every day, because there is still enough hair regrowth to make it a monotonous maintenance job day after day after.. you get the picture. I am now the proud partner of a completely bald man.

This morning when he work up I asked him how he felt about his head?

"Do you feel cool or vulnerable or liberated?"

As a person who has mostly had medium to long length hair (there was only a couple of years of short hair) and is likely to always have medium length hair I just can't imagine what it would be like to have masses of bare skin on your head and to choose to remove your hair. I think I would feel all those things particularly liberated and vulnerable because as a woman, hair can become a defining feature. Many people, male and female have had an opinion about my hair over the years, one of them my husband. P does not dictate how I should or should not have my hair cut but he says he prefers my hair to be longer rather than shorter, luckily (for him) he agrees with me.

3 Comments:

At 3:45 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did he feel cool or vulnerable or liberated?
When we got our wedding photos back, Soy's first comment was "gee I look bald". I genuinedly hardly notice his hairline, but he's a bit concerned about it. Men should realise women are much more concerned about "inner beauty". And anyway, bald men can be v. sexy.
Is he sick of shaving everyday yet?

 
At 3:56 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did he feel cool or vulnerable or liberated?
When we got our wedding photos back, Soy's first comment was "gee I look bald". I genuinedly hardly notice his hairline, but he's a bit concerned about it. Men should realise women are much more concerned about "inner beauty". And anyway, bald men can be v. sexy.
Is he sick of shaving everyday yet?
Elissa

 
At 6:04 pm, Blogger Amanda said...

He actually didn't answer my question in the end - it became rhetorical after we discussed what my views were. The maintenance issue is a problem we do have to tackle - he has never liked nor needed to shave day to day but the head is a different matter. His boss who maintains the same style gave him some advice and said that he has to keep on top of it otherwise he risks aggravating the scalp everytime he has to do a major shave. P mentioned to me that he went through one very good blade with one shave last night so if he keeps it up we could be spending more in good razor blades than haircuts!! I think if it is something he is going to keep up we should invest in a very good electric shaver - so we are going to check out Ebay very soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home